Sunday, March 11, 2007

We arrived in Covington in 10:30 last night after approx. 30 hours of driving. In the Expedition we had Eka, Valerie, Rachel and myself. The girls have lovely singing voices and they were much needed while stuck in traffic. In the last few minutes of our trip we got seperate from the men and my trusty Lola (navigation unit) got us to the church through a couple of back roads, while the men didn't want to follow us and ended up having to go through the DUI check point and took 15 minutes longer. We weren't sure how they were going to handle Deano but they let him through! Next time maybe they'll trust Lola.

We had added to our group, Michael, from Payson. He has already been a great asset so I am glad he made the trip. Plus he gave us chocolate!

About 100 miles outside of San Antonio I got a phone call from Pastor Rich who was staying in Kerrville for a few days. He invited us for lunch at his parent's house. We arrived to a beautiful home filled with 4 bathrooms, beautiful view and kolaches (like a danish but filled with sausage) and sandwiches. It felt soooo good to brush my teeth and wash my face. It was a wonderful break. They sent us on the road with goodies which everyone enjoyed when we were stuck in traffic on the I-10 freeway just outside of Beaumont. We gave people things to watch as we're running between vehicles with sandwiches, donuts and drinks. There I am...just a big white woman running down the interstate with a bag of sandwiches. Normally I would have thought that would trouble people but we are here in the South so it could be considered normal!

At the "Flying J Truckstop" after 25 hours, the bra went flying too. I sang "Free at last, free at last, thank God we're free at last". I think that's pretty normal here in the South also.

Last night the women opted out of taking outdoor showers at 11:00 pm and sleeping on the floor for one night in a hotel. Best decision we made. We all took showers last night and again this morning! We would have had to be up by 4:30 am our time for breakfast and we were just plain worn out. Not a peep was heard out of anyone until 8:00 am. We had our continental breakfast and now we are going to hit the French Quarter. We only have a few hours to sight see but after traveling this far...we are seeing something...even if it's wrong!

I know this is rambling but everything is kind of blurred together and I only have had a half cup of coffee. Thanks for the prayers and phone calls and words of encouragement. Will ramble again later.

No comments: